When you first start driving a car, you very conscisouly went through self-talk to ensure you were doing it all right. Seatbelt on, mirrors adjusted, look in all mirrors, reverse, angle wheels so don’t bottom out the car, straighten wheels, put in drive, signal, move into traffic flow… There’s often no time to enjoy the scenery when you’re a new driver because you are focused on staying on the road.
With experience, that self talk speeds up and becomes less of a consious effort. You can blast the radio, drink a bottle of water and enjoy the view without danger of going off the road.
I’m working on a landing pad for newcomers to Second LIfe as part of my work with education.au and as a learning journey for myself as a trainer and learning object creator. So I’m going to use my social network and put out an appeal to you:
Please leave a comment on this post sharing your top 3, 5 or 10 second life tips/discoveries that really flicked on a lightbulb for you or helped you flick onto auto pilot. I’ll incorporate the top 10 into postcards/slides for newcomers to look at and learn from.
Here are mine:
1) Use the arrow keys in conjunction with the mouse for smoother movement.
2) Play with gestures and assign hot keys to your favourites.
3) Use Page down for smoother landings.
4) Alt + arrow keys give better camera control.
5) CTL ALT D opens advanced menu options.
6) Torley Linden’s video tutorials ROCK
7) Use Make Outfit in Appearance menu to save favourite looks in folders
8) Use CTL Shift Y to turn on the sun
9) Use CTL Shift H to teleport Home if in an uncomfortable situation
10) Use Instant Messaging IM/Call button to talk privately or leave messages for friends not in-world