The course uses the Collapsed Topics course format.
Then this morning in a face to face session, one student showed a second student the issues she was having. The second student logged into the web site using the first students’ computer and had no issues. A third student in the session is also having issues. Our facilitator came to me, very excited and told me about it and I looked at each student’s profile. The ones having problems both had Screen Reader marked as YES in their Profile Settings.
I changed the user settings on my test student account to match and logged in using Google Chrome, then FireFox then Internet Explorer. Sure enough, the page layout was askew. I changed it back, no issues. So, I’ve updated the profiles of all the students who were having issues!
Yay and what a relief! My facilitator really likes Collapsed topics as a course format and I would have hated to switch students over in their first few weeks.